Welcome to Bristol! Get to know the city and meet other students from all over the world, at our friendly welcome events
This September the Global is running a Welcome programme full of fun and social activities – led by the Global Lounge team and student ambassadors – guaranteed to get you excited about student life, and connected with the city and University community! During our jam-packed and exciting welcome period, you’ll have the opportunity to explore Bristol with other students, get involved in fun activities that will help you to make friends and get practical support with settling in – while enjoying some delicious free food along the way!
We can’t wait to meet you and welcome you to our exciting, vibrant and multicultural city!
All events listed are open to all current students at the University (home and international), however spaces are limited, so please make sure you book your place as soon as booking information becomes available.
Full programme (click on events listed below to take you to more info)
- Virtual events 💻 💻 💻
- In person events 👋👋👋
- ‘Ask me anything’ drop in
- Make friends from around the world
- In-person campus tour
- City tours: Clifton and the Suspension Bridge / Brandon Hill and the Harbourside / Bristol’s old city and street art (fully booked)
- Breakfast in the Global Lounge
- Treasure hunt: Brunel and Clifton Village / White Ladies Road and the Downs 🔍
- Afternoon tea with the Global Lounge
Virtual events 💻 💻 💻
Student life webinars
During these fun and informal online sessions, current students will share their personal experiences of what it’s like to live and study in Bristol; offering you tips and insights into everything from study spaces, student discounts and getting around the city, to shopping hotspots and the best places to eat! Webinars will also cover cultural aspects of living in the UK, and some of the great British quirks you may experience during your time here!
Webinars run Monday to Friday (6 to 10 and 13 to 17 September), from 11 am to 11:45 am. Joining instructions available soon.
- Student life – Mondays: 6 September, 13 September and 20 September
- Explore the city of Bristol – Tuesdays: 7 September, 14 September and 21 September
- Eat and shop in Bristol – Wednesdays: 8 September, 15 September and 22 September
- Living in the UK – Thursdays: 9 September, 16 September and 23 September
- Travel in Bristol and beyond – Fridays: 10 September, 17 September and 24 September
Intercultural virtual workshops
Equip yourself for a global future with Kynfolk interactive workshops; learn about British culture and how to adjust to a new living environment through topical themes. You’ll learn more about others’, and even your own culture, through discussions and comparison. Though these workshops are geared towards an international audience, students from the UK will have the opportunity to explore their own intercultural skills during sessions.
Workshops run from 1 pm to 2:30 pm. Joining instructions available soon.
- An introduction to British culture – Tuesday 7 September
- Transitioning to a new place – Thursday 9 September
Virtual campus and city tours
Join the Global Lounge team and student ambassadors as they virtually ‘walk’ you through campus and the city of Bristol. With current students as your guide, you’ll get to see and hear about the most iconic buildings, the best study spots and where to go to eat and relax – via slides, photos and online maps. During this interactive presentation, ambassadors will answer any questions you have, as well as showing you how to best navigate Bristol and Uni campus.
Both virtual campus and city tours run from 2 pm to 3 pm. Joining instructions available soon.
It’s fast, it’s fun; it’s speedfriending! If you’re looking to make new friends at the University – look no further! Speedfriending offers you the chance to meet other current students, from all over the world, in a relaxed and friendly virtual setting. Many of our previous attendees have found friends through this activity, so why not give it a go?
All speedfriending events run from 6 pm to 7 pm. Joining instructions available soon.
Join us for an hour of digital fun, as we allocate you into small groups with other students for some friendly, low-pressure gameplay! If you like the sound of meeting new people whilst doing a fun and easy activity, our Pictionary social is for you. Flex your digital drawing skills for an hour of artistic discovery, and hilarity, as you try to guess others’ drawings and see if they can guess yours!
Pictionary socials run from 6 pm to 7 pm. Joining instructions available soon.
In person events 👋👋👋
‘Ask me anything’ drop in
Coming to a new country, or even a new city, can be a daunting experience – but don’t worry, the Global Lounge team is here to help! Come and visit us in person in our brand-new Global Lounge space, enjoy a hot drink, and we’ll do our best to help you find the information you need. In the Lounge we offer practical support; we can help you with opening a bank account, provide you with a free sim card for your phone, explain how transportation in Bristol works, and direct you to resources that can help you with finding private accommodation or any other information you need.
Our ‘ask me anything’ drop ins will be running every Monday to Friday, from 11 am to 2 pm. No booking necessary, just come in and visit us any time between these hours.
- Welcome Lounge – ‘ask me anything’ drop in – Monday 13 and 20 September, Tuesday 14 and 21 September, Wednesday 15 and 22 September, Thursday 16 and 23 September and Friday 17 and 24 September
Make friends from around the world
This session does exactly what it says on the tin; come to the Global Lounge and make friends from all over the world! This event will help you to get settled in your new home by giving you the opportunity to meet other students through an array of fun activities, including: charades, quizzes, crafts and board games. Please note that there is no obligation to join in with any of these activities – you can simply enjoy being in the ‘room’ with other students (in person!) and get to know them at your own pace.
Make friends from around the world runs Monday to Friday (13 to 24 September), from 11 am to 12:30 pm. Joining instructions available soon.
- Make friends from around the world – Monday 13 and 20 September, Tuesday 14 and 21 September, Wednesday 15 and 22 September, Thursday 16 and 23 September and Friday 17 and 24 September
In-person campus tour
There is no better way to see the campus then being taken around by current students and learning about their favourite spots! Not only will our Global Lounge Ambassadors give you a tour of the University area and buildings, but they’ll share with you their own personal insights and preferred places to eat, relax and study! They’ll also answer any questions you might have along the way.
In person campus tours run every day, Monday through to Sunday, from 13 to 26 September (except for 24 and 25 September), 1 pm to 2 pm. Joining instructions available soon.
- Monday – 13 September and 20 September
- Tuesday – 14 September and 21 September
- Wednesday – 15 September and 22 September
- Thursday – 16 September and 23 September
- Friday – 17 September (no tour on Friday 24)
- Saturday – 18 September (no tour on Saturday 25)
- Sunday – 19 September and 26 September
City tours: Clifton and the Suspension Bridge / Brandon Hill and the Harbourside / Bristol’s old city and street art (fully booked)
Join the Global Lounge and friendly guide, Luke, for a tour of some of the different areas of Bristol. Discover Clifton Village and its most iconic landmark – Bristol Suspension Bridge, enjoy the views from the top of Brandon Hill and see Bristol’s popular hangout spot – the Harbourside, and explore the city’s famous street art and indie district on a tour of the old city.
In person campus tours run between 17 and 26 September, from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm. Joining instructions available soon.
- City tour: Bristol’s old city and street art – 17 September and 20 September (fully booked)
- City tour: Clifton and the Suspension Bridge – 18 September and 25 September (fully booked)
- City tour: Brandon Hill and the Harbourside – 19 September and 26 September (fully booked)
Breakfast in the Global Lounge
Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day – with this in mind the team would like to invite you to join them, and fellow Bristol students, to the Global Lounge for a free breakfast! Chat with other new students from different countries whilst enjoying some free refreshments, and make plans to join up together again at different welcome week events!
Join us for breakfast every morning, from 21 to 24 September, 9:30 am to 10:30 am. Joining instructions available soon.
- Breakfast in the Global Lounge – Tuesday 21 September, Wednesday 22 September, Thursday 23 September and Friday 24 September
Treasure hunt: Brunel and Clifton Village / White Ladies Road and the Downs 🔍
Not only are we offering campus and city tours throughout the welcome period, but this year the Global Lounge has created a custom-designed treasure hunt around Bristol – just for you! Make new friends and familiarise yourself with the city – exploring Brunel and Clifton Village and White Ladies Road and the Downs – through this fun and exciting activity. As well as getting to explore Bristol with new friends, there are also two fantastic prizes to be won!
Join the hunt on 16 and 21 September, 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm. Joining instructions available soon.
- Treasure hunt: Brunel and Clifton Village – Thursday 16 September
- Treasure hunt: White Ladies Road the Downs – Tuesday 21 September
Afternoon tea with the Global Lounge
If you’re interested in anything traditional or quintessentially British (or just enjoy eating delicious free food) then our afternoon tea event is perfect for you!! Join the Global Lounge team and student ambassadors for an unmissable feast of traditional afternoon tea – with fresh scones, jam and cream – while we discuss British etiquette surrounding this traditional pastime!
Join us for tea on 23 September, 3:30 pm to 5 pm. Joining instructions available soon.
- Afternoon tea – Thursday 23 September