Language Café is an informal language learning event, encouraging fun and friendly conversations over a cup of tea. Our café is open once a week during term time. We welcome students and staff of all language levels and none.
Our success story
Since its launch in November 2019, Language Café has been a success story with a couple of hundred language learners, 85 volunteers and 16 languages, including Arabic, Spanish, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin, British Sign Language, Greek, Portuguese, Japanese, Bulgarian, Tibetan, Hindi, French, and Italian.
We would like to thank our fantastic volunteers for their enthusiasm and dedication which helped us grow and develop. We are recruiting new volunteers to drive our successful programme forward so visit our volunteering page. Both students and staff are encouraged to apply. All languages are welcomed, including English.
Our virtual sessions
During the pandemic we began hosting weekly virtual sessions which proved to be very popular. We are continuing with the virtual Language Café in 2020/2021 until we are safe to run our usual face-to-face gatherings.
How to join this event
Please click here to discover our Language Café sessions, taking place at 15:00-16:30 every Wednesday from February 3 until April 28.
Please use the latest version of Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Internet Explorer and Edge are not supported. If you experience any technical difficulties, try a different browser or use your phone. You can message us at one of the welcome desks during the event for more help. As our event is hosted on Remo, you will be asked to register on Remo before you can proceed with Language Café.
- Watch this tutorial video on how to use Remo as an event attendee.
- Don’t forget to introduce yourself when you join your conversation group.
- We encourage everyone to use video-calling if that is possible.
What are our objectives?
- Help others practise their language skills in a friendly and informal setting
- Meet people from around the world and learn about different cultures
- Promote a social exchange, bringing together the UK and international students and staff
- Gain meaningful volunteering experience by facilitating group conversations and sharing your language knowledge with others
How does the Language Cafe work?
Language Café is run by volunteers who are either native or fluent speakers of many wonderful languages. Each week we introduce a new theme such as travel, festive traditions, music, and food so that every time you return you learn something new.
Every language has its own conversation group and where possible we divide groups by the language level from beginner to intermediate+. We tend to keep our conversation groups small so that everyone gets a chance to speak.
During face-to-face events we offer free coffee, tea and snacks, and bags of fun!