- This event has passed.
Virtual Language Café – 25 March
Wednesday 25 March at 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm
In light of social distancing, we are taking our Language Café to the virtual world. Join us in our first trial session this Wednesday at 12:00-13:30.
This event presents a great opportunity for you to improve your language skills, learn about other cultures, have fun conversations with others and make new friends from around the world, without leaving your room!
When: 25 March (Wednesday)
What time: 12:00 – 13:30
Who can attend: students and staff; all language levels are welcomed
Languages available on the day: Mandarin, English, French, German and Spanish
Where: Online, using Skype for Business (you don’t need to have an account, please see below)
Join us online
Please click on your chosen group below to join the online conversation at 12:00. We encourage you to run a quick test 5 minutes in advance. Although any device can be used, we recommend that you choose your computer instead of your phone for a better experience.
- Please click on of the language groups above
- A new tab should open with two options- select ‘Install and join with Skype Meetings App (web)’
- Save the installer titled SkypeMeetingsApp.msi
- Once the installer is downloaded, open it to run the program.
- The plug-in Skype Meetings App should open. Please enter your first name and click ‘Join’
- Turn on your microphone and video using the icons at the bottom of the window
- Open the chat using the icon in the bottom left
- If you accidentally close the window during the call, reopen the link in the email to re-join
- If you experience technical difficulties please join the tech support group or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- At no point will the conference call require you to have a personal Skype account – you will be joining as a Guest
- You will need to be able to access a browser
- In the unlikely case you have a ‘Skype For Business’ account, you will have the choice to join us using the desktop app
- Don’t forget to introduce yourself when you join in
- We encourage everyone to use video-calling if that is possible
- Keep an eye on the instant messenger which might be used during the conference call
- If Skype glitches, please close the window and start again