The Global Lounge offers dynamic, bookable spaces which can be reserved by students, student groups and staff, free of charge. You can use these for things like running events, holding meetings, and social gatherings. Find out more about what the Lounge has to offer and how to make a booking using the drop down menus below.
The Global Lounge is open to visitors from Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm. We also offer 'bookable hours' during term time for you to utilise the space to run your own meet-ups and/or events. Availability will depend on the type of booking you are considering to make.
The University is home to hundreds of micro-communities. The Global Lounge is a perfect space for such diverse groups to come together for meetings and informal social gatherings.
- Reserved space with free tea, coffee and snacks
- Up to 40 expected attendees
- Specific space layout is not required
- Equipment such as projector or microphone is not required
- Other visitors might be sharing the space nearby
We would like to prioritise such bookings on the following days:
- Mondays and Fridays, 9am-5pm
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9am-12pm
- You can find out our availability on our event calendar
ALL OTHER EVENTS
All other events may include collaborative events with the Global Lounge such as cultural celebrations and speaker-led events, as well as private functions such as award ceremonies and society socials.
- More than 40 expected guests, or
- Specific space layout is needed, or
- Equipment such as projector or microphone is required, or
- Complete privacy is required
- Bookings are mainly available on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9am-7pm
- Please see available booking slots in our booking form
- If you cannot see your preferred slot, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note we may be unlikely to accommodate your request outside of our current availability
Our flexible event space can be used for a diverse range of occasions such as mingles, socials, speaker-led events, workshops, craft sessions, small fairs, cultural celebrations, film screenings and other engaging activities. (We are less equipped to accommodate performance-led events.)
We can accommodate:
- Up to 80 guests for speaker-led events (if the projector screen and PA are required)
- Up to 40 guests for a film screening
- Up to 120 guests for all other events
- We offer advice and expertise on event planning to help you make the most of your events.
- We have 27 tables and 126 seats at your disposal.
- We can give you a tour of the space to help you visualise your future event
- Technical specification: 1 projector with the projector screen, 1 built-in PA system, 2 mobile speakers, 4 stage lights, 2 mics with stands, 1 built-in mic and 1 lectern, 3 TV screens
- As a little gift from us, your event attendees can help themselves to free tea and coffee
The Global Lounge space is usually divided into the areas depicted in the floorplan below. Please note however that this is primarily a guide outlining the varied bookable spaces. As such, the furniture might be arranged differently on the day. Our offer for your specific reservation will depend on the size and nature of your event and will be discussed with you upon booking.
Please fill in this form to express interest. We aim to review and respond to booking requests within 5 working days. Your booking is only confirmed once you have received a confirmation email from us.
If you wish to book our venue for events which could be made open to all members of our University community, then we’d like to work with you! We have helped numerous groups organise fantastic cultural events from Diwali and Day of the Dead to Lunar New Year, and many more festivities.
We can offer funding, publicity, and event planning and management support.
Collaborating with us offers a fantastic opportunity for you to gain more exposure and take your event to the next level.
As a vibrant and multicultural hub, we welcome all home and international students, and University of Bristol staff. To help us co-create an inclusive culture, we expect bookings to live up to our principles:
- Free of charge
- Inclusive of the UK and international community
- Celebrating all cultures, building communities, promote a social exchange, or expand knowledge
Some of our key terms:
- Space is allocated based on the type of activity, expected attendance and equipment required.
- Your event must be in line with the information you provide in your booking form and any changes to the expected attendance, risk, or activity must be discussed with us.
- You are responsible for setting up, tidying up and ensuring your guests vacate the space within your allocated booking time.
- Please make sure you factor this in your booking time. Furniture and equipment must not be removed or altered without permission and any alterations must be returned to the original layout at the end of your booking.
- You are not permitted to affix materials such as blue tack.
- Decorations are welcomed but must be discussed with the Global Lounge team.
- Catering, external speakers and external visitors must be discussed with the Global Lounge.
- You are not permitted to consume alcohol and smoking is only permitted in designated areas outside of Senate House.
- If you wish to cancel your booking let us know at least 2 working days or as soon as possible.
- Please also contact us if you are running late as we might not be able to extend your booking.
- Bookings from outside of the University community are not accepted.
Before you book, please read our full booking terms and conditions.